Subject: re: Upper bound for arrays/array q's
From: "Barry D. Wills" <[email-masked]>
To: "amigae" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jul 93 15:39:00 CST

[Oops, thought I killed the preceding message.  Here's the intended message:]

>a)  What is the largest array that E can handle?

Don't know, but it's pretty big.  The only limit I ran into with this is static
arrays which topped out at around a couple hundred (got that "expression too
sizy" message.)  I would imagine that you could dynamically allocate a *much*
larger chunk of contiguous memory and use a PTR TO LONG or PTR TO INT or PTR TO
CHAR to access the elements:  array[0] up to array[MAX_LONG], whatever MAX_LONG
is.  This is what I do in my 2darray.e module.

>b)  Is there any way to use multidimensional arrays?

I posted that module already (and I think it was for you :-).  I'll post it
again.  I'll even try to make it multi-dimensional instead of just 2d.

>c)  What is the upper bound (memory-wise) for arrays?

I think it's MAX-LONG unless you're dealing with static arrays.  Did you look
in the section of the docs concerning compiler limits?

Later.
-- Barry